A once yearly comprehensive check-up
& cancer screen for persons over 50 years
Complete 50+ is a comprehensive yearly check-up which gives men and women over the age of 50 years of age the opportunity to be screened for the commonest types of cancer and medical conditions that one can possibly develop at this age.
During the examination, the person is weighed on a Body Analysis Scale which measures total weight, BMI, fat percentage, muscle mass, bone mass, body water percentage and VFR (visceral fat rating), which indicates how much fat there is around the internal organs. An explanation of what each of these measurements mean is available here.
The skin, especially exposed areas, is scanned using a special lens where necessary to detect various types of skin cancer including malignant melanoma. Any suspicious moles or lesions are referred to a dermatologist or to Boffa Hospital for further assessment.
The heart, lungs and blood pressure are checked. An abdominal examination will determine if there are enlarged abdominal organs and any other abnormalities in the abdomen and intestines. In women, a pelvic examination is carried out to check for an enlarged uterus or ovarian abnormalities.
The person should be fasted for 12 hours on water only. A blood sample will be taken to check:
A urine sample will be needed to check for:
A stool sample will be also needed to screen for:
Once the blood results are available, a full report is issued with notes on what was checked and the respective results. In addition, there will be a calculated risk assessment to determine the risk of getting:
within the next 10 years.
In women, the yearly check-up will include a bone density test for which an application will be prepared online and printed. A smear test and breast examination can be also be done at the same time, unless the woman prefers to get these done at the gynaecologist. Screening for ovarian cancer by means of a pelvic ultrasound and a CA125 blood test is only recommended for women with a family history or who are at risk.
A two-yearly comprehensive check-up & body analysis scan for persons 20-49 years
Complete Check-up is a comprehensive check-up for persons aged 20 to 49 years of age. At this age, a check-up is only necessary every two years unless there is something wrong. Complete Check-up checks for everything that one can possibly monitor at this age and by means of these tests, one can predict the possibility of developing serious medical conditions later in life.
Complete Check-up consists of:
1) Full body analysis scan: Total weight, BMI, fat percentage, muscle mass, bone mass, body water percentage and VFR, which is fat around internal organs. VFR predicts the possibility of developing diabetes and other chronic medical conditions and assesses whether any abnormal liver tests could be due to fat around the liver.
2) Heart and lungs auscultation, blood pressure check: These parameters give a clear indication of cardiac function and can predict the possibility of developing certain heart conditions.
3) Abdominal and pelvic examination, where the abdomen is palpated and internal organs are assessed
4) Full blood test, including complete blood count, liver, kidney and thyroid function tests, cholesterol profile, uric acid and fasting blood glucose, which is a screen for early diabetes.
5) Urinalysis to screen for blood in the urine, diabetes and urinary infections
6) For women, a smear test and breast examination is recommended
7) Complete Check-up report which highlights problems and where there is need for improvement